Before we discuss about the differences between Joomla and word Press, let’s figure out first about the similarities between the two. Both Joomla and Word Press are open source Content Management Systems which are helpful in building websites and powerful online applications. Both of them are used by millions of users world-wide and are the two most popular CMSs on the internet. However, aside from these similarities there are many important differences between them –
• If we compare them in usability Word Press scores higher than Joomla from the point of view of users and developers. Word Press is also easy to learn. It is also easy for the beginners to get familiar with Word Press .On the other hand, if we compare them in features then Joomla offers more features than Word Press and they are also more advanced in functionality. The new version of Joomla the 1.5x version has made appreciable improvements in usability. It also takes time to get acquainted with the CMS concept.
• When it comes to blogging then nothing can beat Word Press, it is the best blogging platform present in the world. Its layout and core is primarily meant for blogging only. But Joomla is apt for building a site that supports a portal that offers e-commerce or media management features. Word Press can be described as word software but Joomla is an advanced content management system
• Word Press is more suitable if your requirements are simple and you have limited time to set up for a website. On the other hand, if you have requirement of developing and designing an advanced website with has powerful features also then Joomla is the right choice.
• Sites built in Joomla are more versatile than those built in Word Press. Joomla is used for designing small websites and for the development of complex functionality on websites. It is easily scalable. You can develop any custom features or application in Joomla However, Word Press can do wonders if the only purpose of the site is to publish information content. It is limited when it comes to develop complicated web applications.
• If you are interested in site modification, then Joomla is the right decision. In Joomla, you can easily change the structure of the page or the navigation layout. However, if you compare Word Press here, then it has limited scope for site modification. If you have no plan of changing the menu system or the page, then go for Word Press.
• Joomla is well formed and is a powerful API that is used by developers to extend the software or integrate with other systems if required. Moreover, its websites can be integrated with other sources or websites. It is also more useful when it comes to extending and integrating the website with the other third party applications of software. However, it is not the same case with Word Press.
• At the end, we can say that Joomla is a universal CMS. It is designed for general purpose platform but Word press CMS is completely a blogging platform. Although you can add theme and other customization but the fact remains the same.